Killester, in Dublin's northern suburbs, is located on the main Dublin to Belfast line. The Dublin & Drogheda Railway built a small halt at Killester with the opening of the line to Drogheda in October 1845, but lasted only two years, it was located on the south side of Collins Rd Avenue bridge. In 1923, the new present day station was opened by the Great Northern Railway north of the original 1840s one. Built to a typical GNR design, it had wooden platforms, concrete waiting shelters, with a small station building located at road level beside the adjacent road overbridge. Wooden steps led down from this to the platforms, which was later replaced by a ramp in the 1970s, along with the replacement of the wooden platforms with concrete built ones. In 1983, the original GNR station building was replaced with a standard DART design and the platforms lengthened as part of the introduction of electrified services to Bray/Howth.
The GNR Killester signal cabin, located on the south side of the Collins Rd Avenue bridge was taken out of use in 1960 by CIE with the re-signalling of the line between Connolly and Howth Jct, and was demolished shortly after.