Killaloe, Co.Limerick, was the terminus of a short Great Southern & Western Railway 5km branch line, which ran from Birdhill on the Limerick to Ballybrophy line, to Killaloe town on the River Shannon. It was opened on the 12th April 1864, and in 1867 the branch was extended a further 700 meters to a wharf at Incha Hill to serve trade boats & steamers. The station building at Killaloe was rebuilt further north of the original terminus in 1894 beyond the road bridge across the River Shannon. It is a two storey brick built station building with a single platform, and once boasted a wooden train shed. Regular passenger services on the Killaloe branch were ceased in 1931 by the Great Southern Railway, but occasional excursion/goods trains ran until the line was finally closed in 1948 by CIE.