Kildare, county town of the same name, was the first important stop on the Great Southern & Western Railway's 1846 built line from Dublin to Carlow, and ultimately to Cork. The station, now heavily used by commuters and intercity services, has three tracks allowing up trains to pass non stop through the station at speed. The architecture of the main buildings on the down platform are done in a typical GSWR style, designed by Sancton Wood, built in brick and similar to that of Carlow. A long original cast iron footbridge spans the tracks and has granite/brick steps at either end. On the down platform is the waiting room and at the south end was the signal cabin, redundant after 1976 following CTC introduction and is now demolished. At the south end of the station on the down side is an engineering depot, built on the site of the former goods yard. Freight trains heading from the south, and then travelling west or vice versa must run round at Kildare Station.