When the Great Southern & Western Railway built their line to Killarney, Co.Kerry, from Mallow in 1855 it terminated there. The westward extension to Tralee did not open until 1859, from then on to the present day, all trains to or from Tralee have to reverse in and out of Killarney's platform termini. Killarney Station is excellently maintained, not surprisingly for this busy tourist area of Ireland. The GSWR built wooden train shed, station building and adjacent hotel all remain. With the upgrading of the station with CTC and the replacement of mechanical signalling on the Tralee line, the platforms have been widened and extended. The wooden built GSWR signal cabin, located at Killarney Check, where trains reverse, is now redundant but still stands. Today, all Mallow-Tralee services are operated by diesel railcars.