Kilrush, Co.Clare, was the terminus of the 1892 built narrow gauge West Clare Railway, which ran from Ennis to Kilkee and Kilrush on the Shannon Estuary. Despite modernisation, the West Clare line closed in February 1961 by CIE, and was the last surviving narrow gauge line in the country. The station building at Kilrush was similar to that of Kilkee, although built in brick. The station once had a typical WCR style canopy, but this was removed in railway days, the platform also has now been demolished. The small engine shed at Kilrush also remains in situ, located just west of the former station area. A line once ran from the station to terminate at Cappagh Pier to connect with steamers across the Shannon, but this short line fell out of use in the 1920s.