Kilmeadan, Co.Waterford, was located on the Waterford to Dungarvan line, which ran ultimately to Mallow. Opened in 1878 by the Waterford Dungarvan & Lismore Railway, it was taken over by the Great Southern & Western Railway, becoming the main Cork to Rosslare line. Unfortunately the Waterford to Mallow line was closed in 1967. However, Ballinacourty magnesite plant was opened in Dungarvan in 1970 and this kept the line from there to Waterford in use for freight until 1982. The weed sprayer was the only train to traverse the line during the 1980s, with last movement to operate on the line in May 1990.
Kilmeadan Station had up & down platforms, with the small wooden station building and GSWR signal cabin located on the down side. Following the lifting of disused line in the late 1990s, the section between Kilmeadan and Waterford was rebuilt by the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway, who now operated regular trains from the station along the re-laid line of 3ft gauge. The platforms were restored and an ex Irish rail Mk2 coach was installed on the down platform which now houses a shop and cafe.