Kilsheelan is a small village located in south Co.Tipperary which once had a small station on the Limerick to Waterford line. The station was opened in 1853 with the line by the Waterford & Limerick Railway, later taken over by the Great Southern & Western, and was one of the smaller types constructed to serve such villages along the route, boasting up & down platforms, small signal cabin and single storey station building. Like many small country stations, Kilsheelan was closed in 1963 to passengers, and then to goods in 1976 as wagon load freight was discontinued by CIE. The station however remained as a block post until 1984, when the loop and sidings were removed. Today only the GSWR built signal cabin remains to control the adjacent level crossing on the R706 road.