Kells, Co.Meath, was one of the more important stations on the Great Northern Railway's Drogheda to Navan and Oldcastle branch. The line lost its passenger service in 1958, and closed completely beyond Navan in 1963, with the section from Navan to Drogheda remaining in use for freight). The station building at Kells was built by the Dublin & Drogheda Railway in July 1853, and has a very similar design to that of Balbriggan on the main Dublin to Belfast line. The station only had one platform, which partially remains, along with a large goods shed, and typical GNR signal cabin which however has been demolished. New apartments have been built on the former tracked at the west end of the station where there was once a level crossing on the N52 road.