Kilmessan Junction on the former Dublin & Meath Railway line from Clonsilla to Navan, is where the 1864 built branch line to Trim and Athboy diverged. All of the Meath lines came under the control of the Midland Great Western Railway in 1889. Passenger services on the Clonsilla to Navan and Athboy branch were withdrawn in January 1947. The Athboy branch was closed altogether in 1953, but wasn't lifted until 1958. The Clonsilla to Navan line meanwhile survived until April 1963, been used for only occasional goods trains.
Kilmessan Jct station was block post until closure in 1963, thus retaining its signal cabin, loop and sidings, by which time the main station building was derelict. Today, the station buildings are incorporated into the Station House Hotel, which include the main D&MR building, platforms, goods shed, and typical MGWR signal cabin. At the south end of the station can be seen the former turntable pit. Part of the line to former lien to Navan was reopened as far as Dunboyne in September 2010.