Bagnalstown, Co.Carlow, or Muine Beag, as it is displayed on the station name boards, is located on the Great Southern & Western Railway's Dublin to Waterford line, opened in 1848. The station was formally the junction for the underused 1866 built branch line to Palace East on the Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway's north Wexford line. After 1925 traffic on branch declined and it closed to passengers in 1931 and to goods in 1946, however the seasonal beet traffic and special trains, mainly for the GAA, kept the line open until April 1963.
Bagnalstown still retains its imposing stone built station building, befitting for the former junction. The station has both up and down platforms. The redundant GSWR signal cabin was demolished in recent years to allow an extension to the up platform. The large goods shed still remains, bereft of any sidings. A small locomotive shed once stood at the Waterford end of the down platform and beyond this was the former junction to Palace East.