Ballinamore, Co.Leitrim, was the headquarters of the narrow gauge Cavan & Leitrim Railway, opened in 1887. Lines radiated from Ballinamore south to Dromod on the Midland Great Western line to Sligo, east to Belturbet on the Great Northern Railway line from Cavan, and west to Arigna. The locomotive workshops were also located here, but these become redundant after 1925 when all major work was transferred to Inchicore Works in Dublin.
The fine red bricked station building at Ballinamore survives as a school and the loco shed are now used as classrooms. The workshop however is roofless and derelict. The goods shed is used for the adjacent football pitch. The classrooms and school yard cover the station platforms and railway yard. The station had three platforms, the western one been for the Arigna branch, but this is now a car parl. The station also had a footbridge, the only one on the C&L network.