The large west Co.Cork town of Bantry was the terminus of the Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway's main line from Cork. The line to Bantry had been opened by the Illen Vallery Railway in July 1881, and was latterly operated by the CBSCR. The railway terminated at Bantry Hilltop, but in October 1894 the line was extended further into the town to terminate at this station which was much closer to the town centre and the harbour. The station had one long platform, on which a single storey wooden station building stood. In June 1909 the CBSCR constructed a platform at the pier at the west end of the station, where trains could connect with a steam ship serving Glengarriff and Castletownbere. These pier services were terminated by the Great Southern Railway in 1937. The main line to Bantry, along with the entire West Cork railway system was closed by CIE in March 1961. Today, only the roofless locomotive shed at Bantry survives, along with the pier adjacent to the harbour, the rest of the station buildings having been demolished after closure.