Banteer, Co.Cork, is the first open station from Mallow on the Great Southern & Western Railway's line to Tralee line, opened in stages in 1853 and 1859. The station buildings complete with redundant signal cabin all survive in fine order. The station is very attractive with clean surfaced platforms, a 19th century footbridge and floral displays. In 1889 the station become the junction for the Newmarket branch. The branch lost its passenger and goods services in January 1947. However goods traffic recommenced in 1956 with newer motive power acquired, this been CIE's 4-wheel G Class Deutz diesel locos, which proved successful. However despite healthy goods traffic CIE closed the branch completely in February 1963. The Newmarket bay platform at Banteer survives, although fenced off from the main platforms.