Ballylinan, Co.Laois, was once located on a 12 mile branch line which ran from the large town of Athy to the collieries at Wolfhill. Constructed by the British government to aid the supply of coal during the WW1, the line was opened in September 1918 and was operated by the Great Southern & Western Railway. When the collieries ceased production during the 1920s, the section of line between Ballylinan and Wolfhill was closed at the end 1929 by the then Great Southern Railway. The remaining section from Ballylinan to Athy was retained for sugar beet traffic until complete closure by CIE in April 1963. As the line never had a passenger service, no station was provided at Ballylinan, except for a run around loop and a loading bank, which today have long disappeared.