Birdhill, north Co.Limerick, is located on the Great Southern & Western Railway's 1860 built branch line from Killonan Junction, near Limerick, to Ballybrophy via Nenagh. The station has two basic platforms, a loop and a siding on the down side. However, only the down platform remains in use for passenger services. The station building, also located on the down side, was a two storey structure, but was demolished many years ago, replaced now by a basic shelter and porta-cabin. The station also once boasted a stone built locomotive and goods shed.
The signal cabin, located at the south end of the station, also controls the points leading to the 1982 built Kilmastulla shale loading point a few miles to the north, which until recently was served by trains from Limerick's Castlemungret cement works. Birdhill was also the junction for the short branch to Killaloe, opened in 1864 and which closed completely by CIE in 1948. This diverged just north of the station, adjacent to which is the former water tower.