Buttevant, Co.Cork, is located on the main Dublin to Cork line. The station opened with the Great Southern & Western Railway's line to Mallow in 1849. The station consisted of up & down platforms, with station buildings and goods facilities on the down side. The signal cabin, which now acts as a gatebox is located at the Cork end of the station on the up side adjacent to the level crossing. The station, along with others on the same section of the line closed in 1977, but remained in use as a block post.
It was just three years later that Buttevant would be the scene of one of the worst railway accidents on Irish Rail, when on the 1st of August 1980, the 12:45am Dublin to Cork train careered into a facing siding. Buttevant Station ceased to be a block post in 1988/89 with the introduction of CTC, but the signal cabin remains controlling the crossing gates. All other station buildings, except the former goods shed have been demolished. A memorial to the Buttevant rail accident now stands at the entrance to the former station.