Belmont & Cloghan Station, to give its full title, was a small halt located on the 17 mile branch line from Clara to Banagher, constructed by the Clara & Banagher Railway. Opened in 1884 after a many protracted years of construction, the line was latterly operated by the Great Southern & Western Railway. Passenger services over the branch ceased in 1947, but the line remained in use for goods and occasional specials until complete closure in January 1963. The halt served the two Co.Offaly villages in its name and consisted of just one platform. The station building, which still survives, is a mix of single and two storey construction. The derelict signal cabin also remains in situ, as does the goods shed. The halt had ceased to be a blockpost in November 1948, with the goods loop and siding been controlled from a ground lever frame.