Ballyshannon, Co.Donegal, was one of seven stations on the Great Northern Railway's Bundoran branch on the Irish Northwest line, opened in 1866. The GNR Irish North West lines were unfortunately closed in 1957. Ballyshannon actually had two separate stations, north of the town was the County Donegal Railway's narrow gauge station. Ballyshannon Station and goods shed survive although they have been extended, the platforms have been covered in but still visible. The stone road overbridge at the east end of station has been demolished since closure. The station served as a border post between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, and a customs office was located on the down platform.