Bandon, Co.Cork, is the largest town west of Cork City and was the starting point for the Cork & Bandon Railway, which opened in stages between these locations in June 1849 and December 1851. The original Bandon terminus was located near the town centre, but was subsequently re-sited on a new alignment to connect to the West Cork Railway, which opened towards Bantry in 1874. The re-sited station was later rebuilt by the Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway in 1894 and featured an island platform on which a single storey Victorian station building was sited. Access to the platform was from a subway at the west end of the station. The signal cabin was on the up side and behind this was the line leading to the original 1849 terminus, which survived as a goods depot until complete closure of the West Cork lines by CIE in March 1961.
Today, the station building at Bandon, which retains its island platform, is now used by the Cork County Council. The formation of the line leading to the original 1849 terminus and goods depot is now the (old) N71 road, but large goods shed remains as a shopping centre. At the east end of the station was a siding which crossed the adjacent Bandon River to serve Beamish Bottling Works, while on the down side a siding diverged south towards Allmans distillery, closing in 1956 and 1931 respectively.