The Belfast & County Down Railway opened their line from Belfast to Bangor in 1865. The BCDR station at Bangor was an impressive red brick building with an Italianate clock tower designed by Charles Lanyon. Unfortunately the station's architectural features were gradually removed by the UTA following their takeover of the BCDR lines in 1950. Part of the station was also given to the new UTA bus depot yard sited on the former goods shed. Beyond the road overbridge at the north end of the station was the engine shed. The BCDR signal cabin was made redundant in 1988 following colour light introduction and demolished in Nov 1995. The original BCDR station building was demolished in 1995, and replaced by a much brighter and more attractive structure designed by Translink in 2000.