Ballybay, Co.Managhan, is located on the Dundalk to Clones section of the former Great Northern Railway's Irish Northwest line, opened in 1854. The line lost its passenger service in 1957 and closed completely in 1959. Ballybay was also the junction for the short branch to Cootehill, which left the mainline just west of the town at Shantonagh Junction. The Cootehill branch opened in 1860, but closed to passengers in 1947 and to goods in 1955.
Ballybay Station retains its gothic style station buildings and its attractive GNR signal cabin, though they are in a rundown state. The GNR station masters house however is in an excellent condition. The platform remains but the trackbed is now quite overgrown.