Ballybrophy, Co.Laois, is located on a straight section of the Great Southern & Western Railway's Dublin to Cork main line between Portlaoise and Thurles. The station buildings are quite extensive, all been located on the up platform. They are a lesser grand style of the GSWR gothic architecture, dating from 1847, and later the 1850s. Ballybrophy is also the junction for the branch to Limerick via Nenagh, which opened in 1854. The original goods shed and water crane (on the down island platform) also survive. The GSWR footbridge was replaced recently by a modern structure with the station's recent modernisation, which also included the addition of new platform shelters, lighting and platform surfacing. Under CTC signalling in 1986, the trackwork was simplified and the signal cabin demolished, however the branch to Limerick is still operated by mechanical signalling and diverges at the north end of Ballybrophy.