Ballaghaderreen, Co.Roscommon, is the terminus of the former branch line from Kilfree Junction on the Midland Great Western's Dublin to Sligo line. The branch opened in 1874 and had two intermediate stations at Edmondstown and Island Road. Goods on the branch were mainly agricultural, cattle was important traffic on the MGWR lines, and it had just three passenger trains a day. The branch closed completely on the 4th February 1963.
The unusual station building at Ballaghaderreen, built with rough stone, remains though very derelict. Part of the platform survives also ,complete with name board posts. The goods shed, used by the GAA remains complete with its typical long cattle bank platform. The water tower and single road engine shed however have been demolished, a health centre now stands on their site. The terminus was unusual also for not having a signal cabin; the instruments were housed in the station building.