The small town of Banagher on the River Shannon, Co.Offaly, was terminus of a 17 mile branch line, constructed from Clara by the Clara & Banagher Railway. Opened in 1884 after a many protracted years of construction, the line was latterly operated by the Great Southern & Western Railway. Passenger services over the branch ceased in 1947, but the line remained in use for goods and occasional specials until complete closure in January 1963. The terminus at Banagher was located by the River Shannon adjacent to the harbour which served the town. The terminus consisted of a large two storey station building, single platform and water tower. The signal cabin, loco shed and carriage shed were all of wooden construction and the latter two suffered badly from flooding, eventually been demolished in the 1930s. Today, apart from the stone boundary wall, all trace of Banagher Station has vanished.