Baltinglass, Co.Wicklow, was one of the more important towns on the long 34 mile Great Southern & Western Railway's branch from Sallins to Tullow, which opened in two stages in 1885 and 1889. The branch lost its passenger and goods services in 1947, and after this only occasional livestock and enthusiasts specials visited the branch which then closed completely in 1959, the track been lifted the following year.
Only a small part of Baltinglass Station survives, this being the single storey 1880s brick built station building housing the former booking office, complete with original GSWR canopy and nameboard. The station, which once boasted up & down platforms, footbridge, signal cabin, goods shed and yard is used now by several industries located on the former site. The former road overbridge located at the south end of the station is now partially filled in but remains largely intact.