Ballynahinch Station, Co.Galway, was once located on the Midland Great Western Railway's Galway to Clifden line. Opened in November 1895, the 48 mile government funded line was constructed with the main aim of providing access to some of the remotest parts of the county. The railway however lasted just 40 years, been closed by the Great Southern Railway in April 1935.
Ballynahich Station itself is located off the R341 road and was one of the few to feature staggered up & down platforms on the MGWR network. Today the main red bricked built station building remains remarkably intact, having been restored in the 1990s, along with the former goods shed. A replica signal cabin has been placed on the original brick base of the structure, located on the up side of the station. The station was also once the main rail head for the nearby Ballynahinch Castle estate.