Ballymena, Co.Antrim, is located on the Belfast & Northern Counties constructed line from Belfast to Derry. Ballymena Station opened in 1855, but with the addition of the opening of the narrow gauge line from Larne the station was rebuilt in the mid 1900s by the BNCR. Unfortunately the fine brick station buildings and canopies, designed by Berkeley Dean Wise, were demolished in the 1970s by NIR and replaced by some quite unattractive buildings. Only the subway railings of the original BNCR architecture remains, along with the redundant signal cabin at the north end of the station. The narrow gauge line to Larne closed in 1944, but the water column, which remains in use, still retains a crane on the former narrow gauge trackbed at the station. Ballymena Station is currently been refurbished and renovated by Translink.