Ballinascarthy, Co.Cork, was a small village which was served by the 9 mile branch line to Clonakilty, opened by the West Cork Railway in August 1886 and latterly operated by the Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway. In December 1890/May 1891, Ballinascarthy became the junction for the branch line to Timoleague and Courtmacsherry, built by two small separate companies and also latterly operated by the CBSCR. The West Cork lines were eventually closed by CIE in March 1961. The station at Ballinascarthy had one platform on which the small wooden station building was sited, behind which was a terminating bay platform for Courtmacsherry branch trains. Opposite this bay platform was the small goods shed and yard. Today only the forlorn goods platform remains, the remaining station buildings having been obliterated by the re-aligned N71 road through the village.