Ballyhaise is one of the best preserved Great Northern Railway stations. Ballyhaise was located on the GNR's Clones to Cavan line of the Irish Northwest route, opened in 1862. It was a quiet backwater of the GNR network, and was the junction for the short Belturbet branch. The station was large, consisting of three platforms, one been an island platform, with one through road. The platforms were linked by a long footbridge. Sadly the entire Irish Northwest network closed in 1957, with goods finishing in 1959.
Ballyhaise Station retains its main platform and station buildings, which are a fine GNR red brick style unlike the usual W.H Mills style yellow brick structure. The station masters house survives also, on an elevated position behind the station. The rest of the buildings are now gone and a road has been built through the station, the junction for Belturbet was located just south of the station.