Bantry Hilltop Station was the original railway terminus in Bantry, located on a hill high above the large west Co.Cork town. The station was the temporary terminus of the Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway's main line from Cork, and had opened to here following the completion of the Illen Valley Railway's line from Drimoleague in July 1881, who the CBSCR latterly operated. The station had one long platform and a large stone built station building. In October 1894, Bantry Hilltop Station was closed when the CBSCR built a new line which diverged just short of the original terminus and ran into Bantry itself to terminate much closer to the town centre. Today the stations buildings at Bantry Hilltop remain, along with a section of the single platform.