The section of the Dublin to Rosslare line around Bray Head, between Bray town and Greystones in north Co.Wicklow is one of most scenic stretches of railway in Ireland. The route around the headland was surveyed and engineered by none other than Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who at the time was engaged with the construction of the Dublin & Wicklow Railway's line from Bray to the county town of Wicklow further south. The section of line around the headland from Bray to Greystones was first opened in 1855. The line featured several engineering structures, including tunnels and several wooden trestle built viaducts. High maintenance costs and constant damage from the sea resulted in several deviations from the original 1855 route, the first of which involved the construction of new tunnel (No.1) in 1876, however a section of the 1855 alignment was retained as 'Worthington Siding' until 1882. The second occurred in 1879 between No.2 and 3 Tunnels, and the final deviation was implemented as late as 1917, which involved the construction of the longest tunnel (No.4) at 1,042 yards long at the southern end of the headland.
All of the deviations eliminated the Brunel's viaducts and cliff sections, the line now taking on the name Brunel's Folly due to the route's reconstructions. Today there are four tunnels in total, including some smaller nameless ones. A well maintained pathway between Bray and Greystones overlooks the majority of the railway line.