Bessbrook, Co.Armagh, was the starting point of an electric tramway which ran for just over three miles between the mill town of Bessbrook to Newry. Opened in 1885, the 3ft narrow gauge Bessbrook & Newry Tramway line survived until closure in 1948. The depot for the trams was located at Bessbrook opposite the mill and adjacent to this was the terminus station and single platform. A loop line allowed trams to return to Newry without reversing. Overhead power was used on the tramway. Today the depot at Bessbrook remains in situ albeit derelict, but the most of the passenger infrastructure, including the station at Millvale, have long since vanished. For a detailed description of the Bessbrook & Newry Tramway, see Irish Railway Record Society journal No.177.